XR Product Manager Few feature questions before purchase

jlag

Hey Chris!

I’ve got to say, I’m personally really impressed with this add on. I wish I had seen it sooner because the user upgrade system was tedious to customize.

Anyway, we have a forum with about 20k users and had a few specific questions regarding functionality.

1. Due to the large size of my site and hard work put into some products we’re distributing, we’d like some of these products are restricted to members who have verified themselves first. Not all products are sensitive in nature like this, though. Is there anyway to discriminate which products are purchasable to certain user groups? If not already built in, is it easy to modify a template for this discrimination with a basic isMemberOf check?

2. Is there any form of gifting products to other users? If not already built in, would it be difficult to implement ourselves?

3. Is there any support for fileless products like the official resource manager? Specifically just for assigning user groups? Could one just delete a file uploaded and unset the attachment from the database or would this cause problems/errors to appear?

4. When you extend a product, does the support period stack?

5. Sometimes our products need to go down for maintanance. We don’t want people to think the product has been discontinued, however. Is there a way to display products but disable purchasing? The way I did it for our user upgrade system was to iterate through each purchasable upgrade and check it’s ID manually, then display a message if it matched and hide the purchase button. I was personally worried that they may still be able to purchase it somehow, but no problems occurred. Is something like this possible? Would there be any problems with the presented above method?

Thanks for making my life easier!
- J

Chris D

Xen Resources Developer
Staff member
XR Notices
Hello

Sorry for the delay in replying. That's not generally the usual response times...

1. Due to the large size of my site and hard work put into some products we’re distributing, we’d like some of these products are restricted to members who have verified themselves first. Not all products are sensitive in nature like this, though. Is there anyway to discriminate which products are purchasable to certain user groups? If not already built in, is it easy to modify a template for this discrimination with a basic isMemberOf check?
You can use categories and category permissions for this. The special products would just go into their own category. You could make the category visible (or not) and/or control whether items in that category can be purchased by specific groups.

2. Is there any form of gifting products to other users? If not already built in, would it be difficult to implement ourselves?
There's nothing built in and theoretically it is possible, though I'm not sure how difficult it would be.

In theory you could do it now, but it would be a manual process. A user would have to purchase the product for themselves, then they would have to contact a staff member who would have to transfer it to another user. That could be a good starting point then if you find that gifting purchases is popular then you could think about implementing a dedicated system for it.

3. Is there any support for fileless products like the official resource manager? Specifically just for assigning user groups? Could one just delete a file uploaded and unset the attachment from the database or would this cause problems/errors to appear?
It's generally assumed that there would be a file, but that file could be anything, I guess, even just a readme file. I guess with a few template edits, you could just hide the download buttons.

4. When you extend a product, does the support period stack?
Yes, it does. If you extend a purchase, it is extended from the date of purchase if it has already expired, or from the expiry date if it is not yet expired.

5. Sometimes our products need to go down for maintanance. We don’t want people to think the product has been discontinued, however. Is there a way to display products but disable purchasing? The way I did it for our user upgrade system was to iterate through each purchasable upgrade and check it’s ID manually, then display a message if it matched and hide the purchase button. I was personally worried that they may still be able to purchase it somehow, but no problems occurred. Is something like this possible? Would there be any problems with the presented above method?
Best way to do this would be to use categories, and move the products to a category that everyone can see, but no one can purchase.